Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Here We Go Again, Friends!

Ready to sign on for another eight weeks of friendly competition to get and stay healthy?

I don't know about you, but I seem to stay on track much better when I have a little skin in the game, and I've needed to get back on track now for about four months.

$25 gets you in on the game. Competition begins Monday morning, April 14th and continues eight full weeks, concluding Sunday night, June 8th. Have your money to me no later than April 19th to participate. (If you need my address, email me jenny.denton@cox.net.)

Rules will be changing a little this time. Here's the deal:
  • 3 points--64 oz. of water (total for week 21)
  • 3 points--no eating past 8 pm (total for week 21)
  • 3 points--2 servings of fruit (total for week 21)
  • 5 points--3 servings of vegetables (total for week 35)
  • 5 points--no sweets/treats for six days of the week (total possible for week 30)
  • 5 points--logging your food intake daily (total possible for week 35)
  • 5 points--30 minutes of exercise a day for five possible days (total possible for week 25)             ---OR---
  • 7 points--45 minutes of exercise a day for five possible days (total possible for week 35)
  • 7 points--report points via comment on this blog (not on Facebook or email) no later than 9 pm Sunday night (total for week 7)
  • 5 points--maintained previous week's weight or lost *This is different. See explanation below*
Total points possible per week--200-210, depending on exercise points

I have eliminated points for contact with a teammate. Although I will always be available (through blog, Facebook, or text) for support, I've decided instead to add seven points for reporting your points by 9 pm Sunday night. One reason I've been holding back on hosting this challenge again is how busy my life is right now. I know it doesn't seem like it should take a ton of time to maintain this challenge, I don't have any extra minutes in my day right now. If everyone gets their points to me by 9 pm Sunday night, I can get the info all posted and out of  my way before school starts back up on Monday morning. I will be posting a reminder on Facebook (find me if you're not my friend there), but I will NOT be sending email reminders or issuing second chances. I just don't have time this round.

*Also, I've received a few comments about the weight loss points. I'll be honest. I hope to shed a couple of pounds this time, but I never really compete in this challenge to lose weight. I compete to force myself to make the healthy choices I know I should be making, and if I get stronger, healthier, and fit in my clothes better, I'm happy. A few people have stated that this challenge steeply favors those who have more weight to lose (especially men, who can lose body weight much faster than women), and I would like this to not be a "Biggest Loser"-focused competition.

That being said, the weight loss should factor in at least somehow, and this is what I've decided:

Keep your original weight to yourself. Keep track of your weight each week, since it is a good barometer of overall health, but definitely not the only measurement we should consider. If you lose 1+ pounds that week, or maintain your weight from the week before (haven't gained any), then award yourself five points. At the end of the competition, figure out how much of your body weight you have lost (in percentage--ending weight divided by beginning weight), and report that score to me.  Highest percentage lost will receive a $25 bonus prize.

Prizes will be awarded to top three highest point earners, not just the winner. Amount of prizes will be published when I receive everyone's cash-o-la and figure out how big the pot is.

Any questions?  Leave a comment here on this post to let me know you're in with us (Please leave your comment here rather than Facebook. If they're all in one place, it will be much easier for me to manage. Thanks.)

We begin Monday morning! Get me your money by the 19th, and if you have any questions, you can either comment here or send me a quick email.

Here's hoping we have a big pot of cash to fight over after eight weeks!

16 comments:

  1. Erica P. would like to enter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacy M. wants to join!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been waiting for this!!! Count me in. I will email you for your address and send the $

    Kesa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sam and I are both in! We will send our money... I know your address. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chuck P. count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You best believe I'm in it to win in!!! so glad for some extra motivation!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is this only open to people in the U.S.?
    Cheryl L.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, I'm in! I need a new challenge to keep me motivated! How should I get you the money?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lindsey A is in. Sorry if this keeps posting but I tried before and my comment never shows up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Erica P. got 173 pts this week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stacy M. received 203 pts this week

    ReplyDelete