Sunday, April 13, 2014

Welcome to the Challenge!

Welcome to the fitness challenge! My internet has been down most of the day, and I finally decided to use my phone as a hot spot so I could get this first post up when I said I would.

I'm looking forward to competing against all of you for the next eight weeks. I've participated in this challenge three times so far, and I have never won it. This is my turn, so watch out!

First item of business: I need to receive your $25 no later than Saturday, April 19th. As soon as I have all of the money, I will be able to calculate what we're working toward. Email me if you need my address.

Second, the actual challenge starts tomorrow, Monday April 14th. Weeks go from Monday morning through Sunday night. Take your weight either sometime on Sunday or first thing Monday morning as a baseline for the competition. Make sure you report your numbers on this blog (not on Facebook) before 9 pm Sunday night.

Third, keeping a food log: This is the area of the challenge that always opens my eyes to my eating habits and poor choices. You can either keep track of your eating on paper (quite old school) or use any number of food journal programs and apps. I really like My Fitness Pal, which syncs to a smart phone, or my fitbit. Whatever way you choose, remember this isn't a calorie-counting challenge, just a calorie-accounting challenge. You'll be surprised how may calories goldfish crackers really have. Oh. That's just me? Sorry. Moving on.

Fourth, exercise can be whatever you deem it to be. That may seem a little abstract, but this challenge isn't about completing the most reps or biking the most miles. It's about getting healthy and making good choices. If a brisk 45-minute walk is your exercise for the day, fantastic. If you do cross-fit and run 7-minute miles, that's great. Personally, my exercise varies depending on the day. Sometimes, it's a run (outside or on the treadmill), and sometimes, it's yoga. I'm not here to e the exercise police. Be honest with yourself.

Fifth, I've decided that I will personally supply a reward to each person who completes the full eight-week challenge. Right now, that sounds strange, but you'll find that for some of you, finishing will be just as big of an accomplishment as winning. So . . .  hang in there, even if you don't think you're gonna win it all. You will win somethting.

Sixth, one of the things I've done in the past is to take body measurements at the start and at the completion. Health is so much more than a number on the scale. I always find that I have so much more energy and feel better about myself while I'm working on this challenge, and I can feel my body changing even if the numbers on the scale aren't moving the way I'd hoped.

Good luck, and I hope you stay close to the bathroom this week. That's a lot of water for your body to get acclimated to, and I always find that I'm a little more  . . . fluid . . . the first two weeks until my body gets used to it all.


15 comments:

  1. Do we have to send you our starting weights?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill and I started today. This is just the motivation I needed to help me track and be accountable. Yhanks Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my 64 oz of water is replacing 128 oz of diet dr pepper. That alone should make me a healthier person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excited for the competition and to start making healthier choices!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Entering points early today, before we head up to Idaho to visit family for Easter. (No points for Sunday except 7 for reporting by 9pm and 5 for maintaining weight.) Total for the week: 116 points.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This of course is assuming that I don't eat after 8PM tonight, I am at 210 points for this week!

    Matt O.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 199 points for this week. - Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sam B - 210 points this week.

    Anybody else feel like they were drowning the first day they had to drink 64 oz?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heidi B. - 210 points for this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kesa points for this week: 188+7 (for reporting before 9pm) + 5 for weight lost this week--Total: 200


    Susan O. points for week: 172+7 (for reporting before 9pm) + 5 for weight loss this week --Total: 184

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did I read it wrong? I think I sent you $20, and now I see it's $25. What am I thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Got started a little late! Here are my points for the 1st week: 117

    ReplyDelete
  13. Got started a little late! Here are my points for the 1st week: 11

    Sarah Moore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ****117 points Crud it won't let me edit!!!!

      Delete