Sunday, June 16, 2013

Week #2--How Did You Do?

Is the challenge getting easier or getting harder?

I've found that parts are easier (the water) and parts are harder.

I could describe putting a Sonic tot in my mouth, looking at the clock, seeing it was 8:08, then shooting it out onto the table without chewing it; throwing a huge party here on Saturday night that began after the 8 pm deadline; or gorging myself on watermelon till 7:59. Instead, here's my exercise story of the week.

This has been the craziest, busiest week ever around here.  In case you haven't heard, my son Tucker got engaged Monday, and that small event sent my week into a spiral of no time and too many things to do. I went to bed early Friday night, fully planning to arise at 5:30, run a few miles then possibly go to yoga before my day got started.

At 1:35 am, I woke up and realized I didn't remember Ben checking in with us after seeing "Man of Steel."  I shot out of bed, ran to his room, saw his empty bed and quickly proceeded to freak-out stage.  I ran back to our room and called him.  He picked up after two rings, saying he had come home after I'd gone to bed and told Dad he was going to a 10 pm showing instead of the 8:45 showing.  He thought I knew. Just a small misunderstanding that kept me awake for the next hour, trying to still my thumping heart and racing mind.  That never happens to me--the not being able to sleep thing.

This sent my whole day out of kilter.  Around  3:15, I realized that if I didn't hop on the treadmill within 15 minutes, I wouldn't have time to complete my workout, so I abandoned my efforts to clean the yard for the party, threw on some workout clothes, and headed to the basement to run for 45 minutes.  I even added five extra minutes, just to be safe.

That experience right there is why being part of this challenge is good for me.  I would have easily ignored my run during any other crazy Saturday of my life.  But not this week!  Thanks for keeping me honest.

After reading everyone's comments about the weight points, I think we will follow the new rule--submit your weight points separate from your weekly challenge points.  They will count in the point tally during weeks five and eight.  The rest of the points will be used to break a tie in either category if one should arise.

So, for week #2, please list the following in the comments section:

  1. Total points for your second week--including double points for exercise, up to 240 points total.
  2. Total points for weight loss--number of pounds lost and if you maintained (or fell below) your lowest weight so far.
  3. How did the bonus points for exercise change how you took the challenge this week?  We'd love to hear your stories.

After I receive point totals for week #2, I will post rankings, both in weight loss and in challenge points.  For those of you who haven't gotten as many points as you anticipated, remember this is an eight-week long challenge, and many people will start out strong and lag behind in the end.  Remember the prize is to the determined, not the fastest!

Next week:  Double points for 64 oz. of water every day.  



18 comments:

  1. Jenny D
    1. Total points--240, thanks to my last-minute run on Saturday afternoon!
    2. Weight loss points--down one more pound, so fifteen points
    3. See story above

    Can't wait to hear from you guys! Stay strong, everybody!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kesa A.

    1. Total points--228
    2. Weight loss--0 But I didn't gain, so 5 points for maintaining.
    3. This challenge was good for me because I was determined to do the 45 minutes no matter what and I was on vacation in Utah all week. A few times I was running late at night and I never would have done that if it wasn't for the double points.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason A
    1. Total points, 240
    2. Weight loss points, 35
    3. I can't say the bonus points changed anything, as it's really my wife who is keeping me exercising even though I murmur about it every time. Maybe I murmured slightly less this week because of the double points!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda H.
    1. 237
    2. 2 pounds lost so 5+20=25
    3. When I first started the challenge I had no problem finding the energy to exercise. It was my alone time and I love it. But I find it harder for me to run each day for some odd reason. I still did it though! This week was hard but I just keep picturing myself thin and $$$ sign and it keeps me going!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen W.
    1. Total points, 240
    2. Weight loss points, 45
    3. Is it wrong to say that I really look forward to the 2 days a week that I don't have to exercise? I can't even remember the last time I had a regular exercise schedule...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paula A
    1. 240
    2. 25
    3. I have always loved exercising, and was really hoping that somehow my hubby would convert to my way of thinking. Still like pulling teeth to do it, but hopefully it won't ruin our relationship :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Matt O.
    1. 240 pts
    2. 6 lbs = 65 pts
    3. Lots of good bike rides this week! Looking to switch it up this week (running, swimming, basketball). Feeling great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alison W.
    1. 228 points
    2. 22 points (2.2 points lost)...went below my lowest weight so far.
    3. Honestly, the exercise was frustrating just because I missed some days and I hate that! But, it worked, to some extent...still lost pounds!! I like the idea of double points, so I'll re-commit to my efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kerri B
    1. 240 pts
    2. 1.8 lbs lost- 10+5= 15 weight loss pts
    3. I honestly forgot about the double exercise pts. We are kind of on a roll with the exercise thing...one night we got home late and didn't finish working out until 10pm. In the past we would have never thought about exercising at that time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eric B
    1. 237 pts
    2. 2.2.lbs lost- 20+5= 25 weight loss pts
    3. My wife didn't tell me about the double exercise points!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nancy O.
    1. 240 pts.
    2. Lost 2.5 lbs.= 25pts.
    3. I started out the week really positive like last week but by Friday I was hanging on by my fingernails. We had birthday parties and Father's Day, dinner out with friends But I did it and now I'm feeling really good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Greg O.

    1. 240
    2. 2lbs. = 25
    3. Took the show on the road this week. Father's and Sons, Father's Day, birthday parties, etc. Made it hard to get keep on track.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1. 240
    2. 7lbs lost =75
    3. The points are very motivating.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1. 240
    2. 20+5 =25 There is no way us girls can compete with these guys in the #'s lost!
    3. Water was definately easier this week and I completely forgot on several days that I hadn't had any sugar. that's a nice craving to have gone. I hate the excersize simply because it takes time and I don't feel productive while doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Janie B.
    1. 179
    2. 0 lbs lost stayed the same 5pts.
    3. I was sick all week.....fun so I didn't excerise....cool Especially when that was the double points....awesome. But I feel better Thanx for asking:) I swear I'm going to better!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thomas O.
    1. 240 points
    2. 2 lbs = 25
    3. Exercising went really well this week! Sometimes I had to go at 10:00 at night, or 6:30 in the morning, but it got done, and I really enjoying it! I'm even running in a track meet this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. 1. 190 points
    2. 0 weight loss points /:
    3. I didn't remember it was double points for exercise until I read Jenny's blog last night!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Taylor O
    1. 240
    2. 1 pound: 15
    3. Exercising went great during the weekend but on the weekend it was tough for me to remember!

    ReplyDelete